I took the seeds out out of the zucchini. I was a little too rough on that little guy . . .
Then I cooked the onion and apple in a little grease from the sausage. You can add another oil if you want (olive oil, coconut oil,) I added some of the zucchini pulp in once I squeezed out the excess water.
- about 4 zucchini, cut length wise
- 1 pound maple sausage
- small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 small apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/8th cup pure maple syrup
- salt to taste
- mozzarella cheese for topping
- Cook the sausage in a pan over medium high heat until it begins to brown and is no longer pink.
- In the meantime scoop out the seeds and pulp in the zucchini. Reserve about 1/4 – 1/2 cup of the pulp. Squeeze out the excess water in the zucchini pulp and chop.
- In a new pan add the chopped onion, apple, and zucchini pulp. Cook until tender. I used some of the grease from the sausage to coat the pan.
- When the sausage is done put it in a large bowl and stir in the maple syrup.
- When the onion mixture is done add it to the bowl as well.
- Salt the mixture. Add the eggs. Stir well.
- Place the zucchini boats on a cookie sheet and stuff them. Cover with tin foil and cook them on 400 degrees for 35 – 40 minutes.
- Top with mozzeralla and put back in the oven until melted.